APKN Secretariat - 1st APKN Council of Coordinators and PlenaryNovember 04, 2010
The APKN Secretariat successfully convened its 1st APKN Council of Coordinators and Plenary at the Pan African Parliament, in Midrand South Africa from the 19th-20th of October 2010. The Plenary was jointly hosted by the Parliament of the Republic of South Africa and the Pan African Parliament with support from the Africa i-Parliaments Action Plan of UNDESA.
Attended by over 110 delegates from regional and national assemblies in Africa and Development Partners the 1st APKN Council of Coordinators and Plenary redefined the path the APKN is to follow in the next years before the next plenary in 2013. A number of pertinent decisions were made with regards the future development of APKN as follows;
- The APKN Plenary received and endorsed the Progress Report for 2008-2010
- The APKN Charter was amended and endorsed to make it more relevant to the current needs of APKN
- The APKN Action Plan for 2011-2012 was endorsed by Plenary. The APKN Executive Committee and the Secretariat are to operationalise the action plan with support from partners
- The 1st APKN Executive Committee was elected and endorsed by members present at the meeting. The APKN Executive committee is now comprised by the Parliament of South Africa ( Southern Africa); Gabon (Central Africa); Kenya (East Africa); Cote D'Ivoire (West Africa) and Egypt (North Africa) and all regional assemblies and bodies namely: the Pan African Parliament, the CEMAC Parliament, the SADC Parliamentary Forum , East African Legislative Assembly, ECOWAS Parliament, and the Maghreb Union Consultative Council
- The APKN Plenary accepted the offer of Parliament of of the Republic of South Africa to host the Secretariat for the period leading to the 2nd APKN Plenary in 2013.
Significant changes were made to the APKN Charter, to allow a more proactive role of the APKN Governance structures in the decision making process as well as supporting the secretariat to implement the decisions of Plenary and allow increased participation of both members and other development partners. All the regional assemblies have become officio members of in the Executive Committee to underline that APKN is meant to actually build on, work with the regional grouping and to facilitate increased exchange at both regional and continental level. The first meeting of the new APKN Executive committee is scheduled for January 2011 where the interim Secretariat will officially handover to the new Secretariat.